We left Anchorage for Homer the morning of the 21st. Again very windy and pouring the entire trip down. The road was very narrow and rutted from the trucks leaving two rivers of water. But we made it.
We stayed and Bay Crest RV park on the bluff above Homer and the Homer Spit. After setting up camp, we went down to the Spit to arrange a Halibut fishing trip. The Spit is definitely old school Alaska. It is pretty much a fishing village with a few restaurants and gift shops. Even though that was where the action is, I am glad we camped up on the Bluff.
We decided on a 6 hour trip to fish. I am really glad we did since we limited out within just a couple of hours. Two fish for each of us.
When we got back to the Motor Home, we processed the fish and vacuum sealed them for the freezer. Thank goodness Chris brought along the vacuum sealer. We think the total weight must be around 30 pounds after fillet.
That is great eating fish.
On the 22nd we had hoped to take a float plane from Beluga Lake to tour some glaciers, but we were socked in with fog. So we decided to tour the Spit one more time and take a nature walk.
On the 24th we took our time getting back on the road to Seward as the trip was not going to be that difficult...or so we thought?
When we got around 5 miles from the Stoney Creek Campground, the engine light came on and the engine went immediately into "Limp Mode". I pulled over and shut it down and restarted thinking that might help, however, no go. We made the decision to finish going to the campground as we could not possibly drive up to Anchorage at 15 miles per hour at best.
We immediately began making calls to see if we could get someone to look at it in Seward. That was not going to happen, However, we were able to convince one mechanic to read the error codes. I called a few Chevy dealers in Anchorage & Wasilla. I found the Wasilla "Alaska Sales & Service" would be able to help us out. The bad news...those codes meant there was no way the Motor Home could be driven to Anchorage or anywhere very far.
We tried to arrange a tow through the Good Sam Roadside Assistance Program. What a waste! They would not provide but a few miles of towing even though we had found the only dealer that would or could work on it. The advertising says unlimited towing. I guess that only applies if you are a few miles from where you need to be. They basically don't care if you have a warranty or not. This means they pay the tow to the nearest shop and you work out the repair bill. I bet ours is going to be thousands if not covered under the warranty.
The Alaska Sales & Service GMC dealership is 163 miles from the campground. We decided to call Geico our insurance company. They came through 100% and agreed to pay the tow all of the way. Thank goodness. Since we were already down at the campground we delayed the tow for two days giving us some time to see Seward, the Exit Glacier and take a Fjord tour.
We arranged a 6 hour Fjord tour for the next morning.
Getting up early, we decided to take the short hike to see the Exit Glacier. Pretty cool.
The Fjord tour was absolutely awesome. I have never seen so many whales, sea lions, otters, etc. in my life. It was worth every penny. To top the trip off, we went up to the Aialik Glacier. That thing was more than a mile wide. While there, several large pieces calved off. As we were leaving, this huge chunk calved off. It must have made a 10 foot wave.
As a highlight on our return to the dock, three humpback whales decided to do a 15 minute series of full water breaches. I have never seen anything like that in my life. That was a highlight.
On the 26th, (our anniversary), we got up early to make sure the tow truck was on its way. They said it left at 8:30am. This stressed me a little as I thought they would be loading us up by then. Well that just kept building as he did not show up until 2PM. He showed up with a flat bed without any help. So he asked me to drive the Motor Home on while he guided me. There had to be less than one inch on the side of the tires. I thought I was going to melt down.
Well we made it up to the dealership right as they were closing. They (Wallace) was great and very reassuring. He got it up on the large vehicle lift and let us plug in so the fridge would stay cold. Thank goodness as I did not want to lose that Halibut.
We went out to dinner and got a hotel for the night....$200 for one night. Not as nice as a Motel 6. Yikes.
So, the next morning we get a call from Wallace. He said there was a hole in the turbo exchanger or something like that. The name did not matter as he told us it was covered under our warranty. Yahooooo! The bad news was that it would take 3 or 4 days to get the part from Reno, Nevada.
We decided to go out to breakfast then look for a cheaper hotel. After breakfast, Wallace calls us again and he suggests we "limp" across the street to Big Bear RV Park. What a guy. That was genius.
We hope to have the new part in by Monday or Tuesday.
Not such a bad outcome for something so serious.