Monday, June 20, 2016

June 20th, 2016 Homer Update

We made it down to Homer. The trip down was pretty windy until we got to the end of the Turnagain Arm. There was a high profile vehicle caution with up to 55 MPH winds. It was tough driving until we got into the trees of the Kenia Peninsula.

We are staying at the same campground as 2014, Baycrest RV. I really like it because we are not on the spit, and the views are spectacular.  After setting up camp, we drove down to the spit. Boy do I feel sorry for those guys. The winds had to be a steady 35 MPH with gusts in the 40's. There were several tents blown down and dusty conditions.

On Sunday, we went to Don Jose's for dinner. The food was OK, but a little expensive.

On Monday, we got up early to go fishing. We scheduled the charter with Bay Explorer a 50 foot boat. It is much smaller than mine, but appears stout. Captain Billy warned us we have a very small window for fishing due to the short time between tides. It is the summer solstice and a full moon so the tides were extreme.

The fishing for Heather and I started out fast. I dropped my line in and right as it hit bottom, I was fish on. It came up at 29 inches so I elected to throw it back. The new rules are one fish must be under 28 inches and the other any size.

Heather was on next. Of course I had to bring hers up for her. First fish just under 28 inches. I then caught the next at just under 28 inches. Heather and I both got around 29 inch fish next. I elected to keep both as I was worried about time.

At this point Chris had not caught a fish. Getting worried, but still fishing. Chris then got on. She immediately was having issues reeling the fish in. I jumped on and noticed it was going to be a tough fight. After 10 or 15 minutes, we finally got color. This fish was the biggest of the day at over 38 inches. Yea for us.

After that the captain moved us around so everyone could get their two Halibut. Chris got hers and we waited until all of the guest were limited out.

Bob and Angel got both of theirs right around 28 to 29 inches for all 4 fish. It was a good day for everyone, but definitely smaller fish than in 2014.









So heavy Chris could not lift it.





No comments:

Post a Comment